PDA

View Full Version : Asian-American fraternities / sororities

golivar
10-25-2004, 06:48 PM
anyone here have any knowledge of or firsthand experience with asian-am fraternities or sororities?

i'm trying to do some research on a possible story and am interested in learning some background info on these organizations - the good, the bad, etc - basically stuff that may not be found on their websites.

also, any tips on possible story angles, etc. would be cool too. just to help me brainstorm and what not.

thanks,
g.

fmstlr
10-25-2004, 06:48 PM
it's called the chess club.

panda phocker
10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
what kind of story?

10-25-2004, 07:01 PM
knife fights?

golivar
10-25-2004, 07:03 PM
mainly just a look into their organization and the lives of their members. i'm interested in seeing why they are part of an ethnic fraternity and how it's different from the typical (usually white) fraternities, if at all. the story isn't really going to have a specific narrative with a conflict and resolution, i think it will most likely be a documentary photo essay, unless i come across a particularly interesting situation that they are facing.

golivar
10-25-2004, 07:09 PM
basically, i'm fascinated by a lot of younger asian-americans' (2nd and even 3rd generation) propensity to mainly hanging out with other asian-ams. it seems like they do this more now than when i was their age (or maybe that is just my perception). i'd like to see whether or not i can translate into pictures the struggles these kids face and the balance they try to make between their parents' cultural background and their background as young americans.

Denstradamus
10-25-2004, 07:10 PM
the two big ones on the west coast are

lambda phi epsilon and pi alpha phi (pineapples?)?

lambda phi started in ucla and pi alpha phi started in davis i think?

i think there's another one...zeta something.

they pretty much resembled other frats imho, but maybe someone else has more info.

they got sites too.

Ryan
10-25-2004, 07:13 PM
PI DELTA PSI WHAT!

my old roommate is a member of that "asian interest" fraternity. they are fairly entrenched over at Rutgers. i pretty much got the inside scoop from him, cuz we DOWN LIKE THAT (yo)

Theres at least one more but I forget their name.

Two asian sororities KDP (iirc) and KPL (iirc) are also in the mix.

from my experience with them, they really aren't that much different from a "typical" fraternity.

they also seem to follow the trend that on a whole they only interact with fraternities with members of similar ethnic backgrounds.

in this case i find it kind of entertaining since the other fraternities they consider a "rival" of some sort. aka stupid highschool gang type shit.

but yeah they do what most other frats do. they recruit, make their pledges do dumb isht, they occasionally do "community service" and throw a party every now and then. *shrugs*

Denstradamus
10-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by golivar
basically, i'm fascinated by a lot of younger asian-american's (2nd and even 3rd generation) propensity to mainly hanging out with other asian-ams. it seems like they do this more now than when i was their age (or maybe that is just my perception).

yes! i see that too! the 1st generation born here totally assimilates into the host culture from the get go. their friends and significant others are more non-asian.

the 2nd generation tends to hang out more with their own ethnic group and joins all these heritage groups in attempt to tap into that lost heritage.

that's not always the case of course, but i see that totally with the kids that i grew up with.

golivar
10-25-2004, 07:15 PM
yeah i've met guys from the lambdas over at RU. i'll probably give them a call soon.

golivar
10-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Denstradamus

yes! i see that too! the 1st generation born here totally assimilates into the host culture from the get go. their friends and significant others are more non-asian.

the 2nd generation tends to hang out more with their own ethnic group and joins all these heritage groups in attempt to tap into that lost heritage.

that's not always the case of course, but i see that totally with the kids that i grew up with.

right. i was born in the PI and came here when i was 4, so i'm considered 2nd generation. but i've noticed that younger asian-american kids born here do tend to stick with other asian-american kids more than i did when i was growing up.

this is something i've been interested in since i took a number of AA history classes in college. just haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Ryan
10-25-2004, 07:24 PM
basically, i'm fascinated by a lot of younger asian-americans' (2nd and even 3rd generation) propensity to mainly hanging out with other asian-ams.

personally i feel like asian am fraternities arent as important an indicator to this as the internet and various communities that have sprung up ie Asian Avenue (seriously) etc, etc..

Decadent1
10-25-2004, 07:25 PM
You know what I call pledges?

Assholes in training.

golivar
10-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Ryan

personally i feel like asian am fraternities arent as important an indicator to this as the internet and various communities that have sprung up ie Asian Avenue (seriously) etc, etc..

really? hmmm. perhaps internet communities like Asian Avenue are a progression from (or, rather, a post-college continuation of) ethnic fraternities?

or maybe ethnic fraternities somehow lead into the opposite direction, perhaps encouraging assimilation in some indirect way somehow...?

Ryan
10-25-2004, 07:35 PM
really? hmmm. perhaps internet communities like Asian Avenue are a progression from ethnic fraternities?

or maybe ethnic fraternities somehow lead the opposite direction, perhaps encouraging assimilation in some indirect way somehow...?

I'm pretty sure although i could be wrong, that alot of younger people including those in college can identify what AA is versus naming at least one or two asam frats/sororities.

but are they a progression from other ethnic fraternities? i'm not sure...i just think that the internet in general has made it easier for people to search and join communities where they find common ground.

slackerbot
10-25-2004, 08:34 PM
i don't recall having any AA frats on campus. i don't think we even had black or latino frats. but we did have a lot of ethnic social clubs. they were probably the closest thing to an AA frat.

i've noticed that a lot of these clubs consisted of 1st and 2nd year students. i think after that, they stop joining "social" clubs and spend more time with professional association clubs and other clubs that are related to their major.

GONG_LORD
10-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Asian frats and sororities at UCI are whiter than white bread.

Hap
10-26-2004, 10:08 AM
remember this (http://www.giantrobot.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=14650&highlight=asian+fraternity)

empanadamn
10-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Clap your hands everybody, and everybody clap your hands!

We're Lambda Lambda Lambda and Omega Mu
We come here on stage tonight to do a show for you

We've got a rockin' rhythm and a high tech sound
That'll make you move your body down to the ground

We've got Poindexter on the violin
And Louis and Gilbert will be joinin' in

We've got Booger Presley on a mean guitar
And a rap by little old me Lamar

We've got Takashi beating on his gong
The boys and the Mus are clapping along

And just when you thought you'd seen it all
Along comes a Lambda four feet tall

So Wormser come on out here on the floor
So we can move our bodies like never before

Breeeeaaaakkk!

YelloKitty
10-26-2004, 10:37 AM
THIS IS WHAT IM TALKIN BOUT!

Ryan
10-26-2004, 10:53 AM
BOY ILL CUT YOU

filipEMO
10-26-2004, 11:00 AM
my uncle was in one in the philippines. i guess they were basically gangs over there. he was a loke i suppose.

YelloKitty
10-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
BOY ILL CUT YOU
HAHAHAHAHAH YAAAAAY GIGGLE JUICE

unhip
10-26-2004, 12:09 PM
i had a friend at mu that wanted to start a trojan system to rival the greek system. get it?

stryfe
09-01-2005, 01:14 PM
asian frats = asian gangs

Family speaks out about pledge death (http://www.whittierdailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,207~12026~3035402,00.html)
Fraternity event fatal for Rosemead man

By Jason Kosareff , Staff Writer

ROSEMEAD

The family of a Rosemead man who died this week while pledging to a fraternity said Wednesday that parents should be aware of dangerous pledging practices.

Kenny Luong, 19, died Tuesday from injuries suffered during pledging exercises that may have involved tackle football without padding, police said. Luong and eight other Cal Poly Pomona students, mostly from the San Gabriel Valley, were pledging to the Lambda Phi Epsilon fraternity at UC Irvine.
<cont'd (http://www.whittierdailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,207~12026~3035402,00.html)>

Malosi
09-01-2005, 01:22 PM
me and some friends are trying to start a coed sorority full of punks and other varieties of losers.

BAOH
09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by filipEMO
my uncle was in one in the philippines. i guess they were basically gangs over there. he was a loke i suppose.

i heard about that one!!

bar kada-kada-kada...