PDA

View Full Version : Okinawan vs. Japanese

Sukebe
12-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Story:

I am hapa, a Chonky if you will. I am half Okinawan and 1/4 Japanese. There is a difference. My family is rabid with O-Pride.

We have a new engineer at work who is JOJ Nihonjin and after meeting her and introducing myself, she saw my badge and asked me if my last name is Japanese. Being the good Okinawan mutt that I am, I told her that I am Uchinanchu. She then changed the subject immediately.

Once, when I was a kid, a Japanese lady asked me if I was half Japanese. I told her, "I'm Okinawan." She says to me, "No! Don't say that, you're Japanese. You don't have to tell people that. It's the same now." I was little, but I knew that she felt like "Okinawan" was derrogatory.

Anyone else experience this shit? I'm about to go play some cds with shamisen and whistling outside that Yamatunchu bitch's cubicle as I pelt her with andagi.

Sukebe
12-03-2004, 10:08 AM
For April Fool's Day I am going to fill her cubicle with goya. Maybe I can find a sympathetic farmer who can donate 400lbs of his harvest.

shammy718
12-03-2004, 10:15 AM
one of my best friends is okinawan and he's always telling me stories!

Marquis de Sade
12-03-2004, 10:15 AM
mmmmm, goya chanpuru.

Robocon^^
12-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Sukebe
I'm about to go play some cds with shamisen and whistling outside that Yamatunchu bitch's cubicle as I pelt her with andagi.
I can feel the love...

shammy718
12-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Marquis de Sade
chuurasan

^the name of my friend's mom's restaurant/karaoke bar in SD.

Robocon^^
12-03-2004, 10:39 AM
andagi.

The okinawan festival vendors put short chunks of hotdog in their angagi. Called then Hotdogi

tintin1000
12-03-2004, 11:50 AM
sounds like the Taiwan debate or something, just not as political.
or am I missing something?
why is it that
(a) you feel the urge to distinguish and
(b) there is some sort of tension btwn mainlanders and okinawains (if that's a real word at all ... )?

Ricky
12-03-2004, 11:53 AM

Anyone else experience this shit? I'm about to go play some cds with shamisen and whistling outside that Yamatunchu bitch's cubicle as I pelt her with andagi.

dont forget to blast some Speed and Hitoe

kamenriderv3
12-03-2004, 12:27 PM
don't waste the andagi on them. give to me!

*furiously plucking sea turtle shell banjo*

the okinawan pride group shows up at the japanese parade every year.

tintin1000
12-03-2004, 12:33 PM
thanks to both of you for explaining that to me ...

kamenriderv3
12-03-2004, 01:17 PM
....or wrestle her in the annual "yamatunchu vs uchinanchu superfight tournament".

i know you can beat her sukebe!

sugarboots
12-03-2004, 01:29 PM
hmm my mom grew up in okinawa (she's half german half filipina) and i've never heard anything bad about it- i should ask her. my sister lives in tokyo (two years now) and has visited okinawa but i never hear her say any prejudiced things about it. maybe they just don't know?

sugarboots
12-03-2004, 01:31 PM
i'm talking to my aunt now and she said that japanese people always considered okinawans "low class"
and she says now there are more millionaires per capita in okinawa than anywhere in the world. and that their economy is better than in japan proper...

Ryan
12-03-2004, 03:06 PM
i wanna stop there sometime next year.. thats all.

sugarboots
12-03-2004, 03:10 PM
yo tambien, amigo ;)

Sukebe
12-03-2004, 06:04 PM
I guess Okinawa is kind of like Tennessee for Japanese people. If you're a singer or an actor, it's all good, but otherwise you're a bumpkin?

Or maybe like Hawaii... "Let's overthrow their monarchy, assimilate their culture and use it for a vacation spot. They have nice beaches and the natives are quaintly unsophisticated sometimes." Remember Elvis singing "Ito Eats"?

Sukebe
12-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by tintin1000
sounds like the Taiwan debate or something, just not as political.
or am I missing something?
why is it that
(a) you feel the urge to distinguish and
(b) there is some sort of tension btwn mainlanders and okinawains (if that's a real word at all ... )?

Were you trying to be a dick?

Say that shit to the wrong person and you'll be pummeled with hairy knuckles.

kamenriderv3
12-03-2004, 07:15 PM
okinawan girls are nice

Ryan
12-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by sugarboots
yo tambien, amigo ;)

bot meet in okinawa :eek:

Ricky
12-03-2004, 09:44 PM
okinawan girls are nice

I would never consider okinawan people low class

osaka people on the other hand, below low class

jsoy
12-03-2004, 09:47 PM
i heard okinawans are harier....is that a word?

Sukebe
12-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by herrokitty

I think it was an honest question.

and Mr Miyagi was the first person I ever knew of who distinguished himself as Okinawan instead of Japanese. One of those little touches that made that movie so great.

He said "if that's a real word at all".

Why is it that Hmong (if that really is a word at all) feel the need to distinguish themselves from Laotions?

Sorry, my bad, honest question.

I guess I should be more tolerant, but if there was an anime set in Okinawa, I know there wouldn't be any questions like that.

Robocon^^
12-04-2004, 01:55 AM

He said "if that's a real word at all".

maybe he wasn't sure of his spelling (rightly so) when he typed "okinawians"

Sukebe
12-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Sorry, just that rabid O-Pride Shisa rearing it's ugly head.

t3h1337p3nguin
12-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Ricky
okinawan girls are nice

I would never consider okinawan people low class

osaka people on the other hand, below low class
This is probably more obvious to you guys, but I don't understand why Osaka is considered, like, a place for hicks and backwater stuff.

detarame mame
12-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Nihedebiru Sukebe-san! I was going to start a thread to ask about if there were any uchinanchu-bots but this is even better. I think this guy (the article) has no idea what he's talking about:

Originally posted by peko-chan
One person's opinion....

http://www.tabunka.org/newsletter/identity.html

I'm a 50:50 mix myself (yamatunchu/uchinanchu), and my parents are kenjinkai members. I also went to one of the summits he's talking about a while back and I think both the kenjinkai and the summits are positive

"If you see the summit on the TV, don‘t believe the hype"

I've been, and it was really cool to meet uchinanchu's from all over the world, and all his ranting about how "japanese" okinawa really is doesn't make sense because that is at the heart of the problem - that the language *is* dying and the culture with it.

The point of all the efforts he's so derisive of, is to try and preserve a culture that is different, from being assimilated and annihilated. Maybe his problem is that he's only talked to younger uchinanchu's. My mom has all these crazy stories about the old guard and the old dialect and what happened to you if you got caught talking dialect in class. Or oldschool okinawan food that my grandmother used to make that my mom wishes she'd gotten the recipes for.

I find it ironic that someone who writes for an organization that's dedicated to helping a culturally marginalized group (foreign nationals) has such trouble understanding what all the islanders are complaining on about.

detarame mame
12-10-2004, 09:01 AM
On a vaguely related note, does anyone know of any good okinawan cookbooks (written in english)?

Oh, and if you need goya, I'd love to hook you up - ever since my mom got back from her last trip to okinawa and started growing her own it's been goya-everywhere. Too bitter, too yucky.

I'll trade you for the sataandagi!

Sukebe
12-10-2004, 10:53 AM
10 pts if your last name has "shiro" in it
5 pts for every G

detarame mame
12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
10 pts if your last name has "shiro" in it
5 pts for every G

I have my dad's (japanese) last name, but my mom's maiden name was yamashiro (almost 10pts) no g's and I have "kaneshiro" and "oshiro" cousins. I could call you sukebe-gwa if that'll earn any points!

oh, and I did the math: 1/4 japanese + 1/2 okinawan...what's the other 1/4? Or are you only 3/4 of a person ;)

kamenriderv3
12-10-2004, 12:14 PM
he's 1/4 bionic.

i'm not even going to detail what body part is machinery.

detarame mame
12-10-2004, 12:19 PM
sweet. if only we could all be so lucky. what about you, kamen - how do you score on sukebe's point system?

BOON
12-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Im not entirely sure about its relation to the Italian mainland but probably a little similar to Sicily/Italy? There's got to be a handful of other similar scenarios to Okinawa/Japan too.

There's an island or area in Portugal that is similar, I think ( i believe Nelly Furtado's family is from that island/area).

How about Scotland/England?

YelloKitty
12-10-2004, 05:35 PM
my mom lived in okinawa when she was a youngin. i'll aks her about all this stuff.

Sukebe
12-10-2004, 06:09 PM
the Portuguese islands are the Azores... we have quite a few Azores Portuguese in the BA. I knew a girl from Petaluma when I was in Hawaii.

Don't call them Portagees... same kind of hairy knuckle reaction awaits you.

BOON
12-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Ya, just like calling Sicilians, Italian, eh?

Wheres the BA again?

Sukebe
12-11-2004, 02:05 AM
Bay Area

MassacreKing!
12-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Bay Area

HollA!

Bikini Bomb
12-12-2004, 02:45 AM
japanese chicks are fun

Sukebe
05-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Update:

I have to work with that same engineer for 10 weeks starting Mon.

I'm planning on bringing her a peace offering of goya chanpuru (w/ extra spam to show no hard feelings), maybe some purple imo if she plays her cards right.

After work, I will take her out for an Orion and, after drunkenly undressing in the backseat of her car to compare beautymarks, we will get freaky.

I've been wrong before.

tangent23
05-05-2005, 08:35 PM
is this kinda like the korean/japanese thing?

sometimes when i meet japanese people, when i tell them i'm of korean background, some of them get a funny look, but others are all cool..

also: at a martial arts all styles demo i went to once, i noticed that the black belt katas from an okinawan karate style were pretty much exactly the same as our moo duk kwan tae kwon do poomse.. i guess during the occupation there may have been some cross cultural dissemination of a good kind happening amidst all the nasty stuff..

HwaRang012
05-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Tae kwon do is a relatively modern art and despite contentions that its roots originated with tae kyon (claims fueled by misguided nationalism), it is basically the Korean translation of karate.

detarame mame
05-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Update:

After work, I will take her out for an Orion and, after drunkenly undressing in the backseat of her car to compare beautymarks, we will get freaky.

Oh MAN that is hot like an august day in Naha! I can hear the romantic chirping of the semi's now...

Sukebe
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
So I started working with her. I feel kinda bad for being mad at her now cause she's really cool and cute too. She was wearing Diesel jeans and a bolero top. She has nice feet.

After lunch, we met up. Despite my best attempts at washing up and Orbit gum she detected smoke on my holy hoodie. "Busted," I thought. No one at work knows that she smokes. I took her outside for a cigarette.

"I usually smoke Virginia Slims..." she said.

"I'm sorry, but I'm fresh out of Virginia Slims," I replied, as I slid out my pack of Kools.

I'm not sure, but I think she might have dissed me again tonight on the Okinawan thing. I'm willing to let it slide for now.

(>_<)
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
^^do you always post like you're writing a letter to penthouse?

Sukebe
06-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by (&gt;_&lt;)
^^do you always post like you're writing a letter to penthouse?

"No, I don't always post that way," I typed, clacking away at the keyboard.

Suddenly, I heard a voice behind me. "So, what's going on in that thread?" I turned to see it was Tracy, my next door neighbor. She must have let herself in while I was at the computer.

Now, before I continue, let me just stop to say that even I have a hard believing this, but I swear it's all 100% true...

stryfe
06-08-2005, 07:27 AM
http://members.cox.net/stryfe1/smileys/popcorn.gif

bbs fan fiction.

Sukebe
06-08-2005, 07:39 AM
I'll pm you some of my "Kirk & Uhura" stories.

kamenriderv3
06-08-2005, 09:34 AM
please post some pics