PDA

View Full Version : expedia

CaptainPajamaShark
08-07-2005, 07:59 AM
anyone here ever use them to book flights, make hotel reservations, etc.? I'm looking at several package deals (flight/hotel/car) and was wondering if your experience with expedia has been good or bad. any other recommended sites similar to expedia that are better or even cheaper? or are all of the travel sites like travelocity, expedia, etc., the same?

SDP
08-07-2005, 08:08 AM
I've used them a lot - no problems so far. As for better prices, you just have to check around.

fmstlr
08-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I use it, the things I don't like about it is the fees for making changes, and they charge your credit card in full immediately after you make your reservation, i.e. if the hotel or car is not up to par when you get there, you have less leverage to negotiate.

CaptainPajamaShark
08-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by fmstlr
I use it, the things I don't like about it is the fees for making changes, and they charge your credit card in full immediately after you make your reservation, i.e. if the hotel or car is not up to par when you get there, you have less leverage to negotiate.

what sort of fees do they charge?

fmstlr
08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm not exactly sure, it's either $25 for any changes to your itenary or up to a certain percentage of the charge. Read the small prints.

i use it for the convenience, they don't always have the best rental car deals listed (frequently you can find cheaper rate on the rental car company's own website), and many smaller/local/non-chain hotels (e.g. B&B) are not listed. Expedia basically uses the hotel.com database, which I suppose costs some dough to be a member of. As for plane tickets, once again you don't always find the cheapest fare there, but I use them because I can check availability on multiple flights all at once, that save tons of frustration of checking various airlines individually.