PDA

View Full Version : RIP Kevin McCormick

likeothers
12-15-2005, 01:08 PM
http://zeeman.mit.edu/fbyte/

his art was some of the most amazing stuff i've ever seen. simple and brilliant.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/12/11/he_died_pushing_the_limits_of_art_and_life/?page=full

He died pushing the limits of art, and life

By Sally Jacobs, Globe Staff | December 11, 2005

The party at Warehouse 23 was a high-tech marvel, even by geek standards.

But what struck one young attendee most vividly was not the astonishing sea of guests churning through the vast industrial space in the Fort Point district. Or the towering sculptures of thousands of tiny lights blinking in rhythm to the music. Or even the lasers overhead and the fog machines pumping dense clouds around video screens.

No, for Emily Chew, then an 18-year-old freshman at Simmons College, it was the solemn way in which the drugs were distributed. The tiny tabs of acid were passed about, she recalls, in a silver cigarette case. And for each guest who took one, another person stepped forward to be a sober companion, a sort of designated driver for the trip ahead.

Stunned by what she calls ''the gravity of the process," Chew took nothing and fled to another room. A few minutes later, the party's host, Kevin D. McCormick, known to his friends as ''Frostbyte," appeared at her side and said, ''You don't look like you're having a very good time."

McCormick, an MIT-trained engineer and highly regarded artist, led her to a far wall. He flipped a switch and thousands of lights erupted into a shimmering band of color shaped like a rainbow.

''The whole crowd just stopped and looked," recalled Chew. ''The entire room went quiet."

It was a vintage Frostbyte happening. McCormick, who was found dead in Warehouse 23 last month, was a young man drawn to the edge, always pushing beyond the conventional limits of knowledge and sensation.

His frequent gatherings -- more exhibitions than parties -- were fully intended to knock his guests breathless, to take them somewhere else. And McCormick, according to several of his friends, believed drugs could be the passport to some of the more intriguing destinations.

When police found McCormick's body Nov. 13 in the Congress Street warehouse where he lived, he was surrounded by chains and wetsuits -- props, evidently, for erotic activities. The 29-year-old, who was openly gay, had died of a heart attack during sex. Two of the men who shared the warehouse space told police he had taken ecstasy -- his drug of choice, according to several friends -- a few hours earlier.

During their investigation, police also discovered one of the most sophisticated designer drug laboratories that US Drug Enforcement Administration chemists have seen in the region. The DEA is examining the array of chemicals and equipment seized from the lab, which DEA investigators believe was dedicated to the making of such drugs as MDMA, or ecstasy. Law enforcement officials say an investigation continues into whether there are grounds for charges against any of the four others who lived there.

ja.net
12-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Wow, I'd never heard of this guy -- what a shame, his work looks so interesting. Peace to you, man.

eiren
12-15-2005, 01:18 PM
What a way to die... to die while having gay sex.

Dr Jesus
12-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Fuck, I used to use some of his programs as a basis for shit i wrote. that really sux.

likeothers
12-15-2005, 03:40 PM
the tone and the language used in the boston herald article is sooo different from the article above that it seems scandalous. "found hamsters in the basement"??? this is journalism??

Boston police dismantle meth factory; MIT student dies at hedonist sex party

BOSTON Agents began dismantling a massive Southie drug factory
yesterday where
MIT graduate Kevin McCormick was found dead after an apparent wild weekend sex
romp gone wrong. Police say they found hundreds of chemicals used to concoct
club and date-rape drugs such as crystal methamphetamine and "Special K."

"This is probably the largest (meth) lab we’ve seen in the Northeast in the
past 10 years," said an investigating agent from the Drug Enforcement
Administration who refused to give his name. "This is not a small lab. This is
not a mom and pop lab."

Investigators found chemicals used to manufacture crystal meth, ecstasy
and the
date-rape drugs gamma hydroxy butyrate (GHB) and ketamine hydrochloride
("Special K") in a storage area and lab that took up part of the second floor
of the commercial building at 369 Congress St.

McCormick, an engineering student turned high-tech artist whose work was
featured at prominent shows such as Burning Man, was found dead after what
police say was a drug-fueled sex bash.

That changed Sunday when police found McCormick, 29, dead in a room
called "The
Dungeon." He was wearing a mask and wetsuit-style body suit. Police have not
identified McCormick as the dead man, but Bachrach said it was him.

A man whose employer rents space in the building described "group bondage
parties" and other "weird (expletive)." He also said hamsters had been
found in
the basement.

FDM
12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
ohhh, that's what that was.....

i remember the story happening, and the police finding the body of an MIT student inside the building with all kinds of wacky props all over the place. sounds like the guy led an interesting life, at least.

slackerbot
12-15-2005, 04:08 PM
wow! his LED stuff is great!

likeothers
12-15-2005, 04:12 PM
^ his work with persistence of vision particularly striking to me. he had these columns of LED's that would flash columns of pixels in rapid regular intervals. i fyou shook your head around you could see images embedded in them.

tangent23
12-15-2005, 07:44 PM
i like his vision..

'jim
12-15-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm outraged that someone could be killed over something as trivial as taking drugs.

RIP