PDA

View Full Version : a question about your job...

mwt.
07-05-2006, 05:56 AM
As many of you know, I'm currently a stay-at-home dad who, on rare occasion, gets a freelance design job. I've also got a teaching degree so I'm looking for work come Fall. I'm no stranger to depression, as you all have seen how I'm dealing with the concept of having to be at home all day while the rest of the fucking world works. Everybody I know seems to have a job that pays at least 50K a year with benefits. They wear business-casual wardrobes, go to happy hour on Friday nights, and participate in company picnics, corporate challenges, etc, etc.

Today...the day after a holiday...in the middle of the goddamn work week. A Wednesday for fuck's sake--nobody is at work. NOBODY. Monday I can understand. But Wednesday? My question to you is this: are all these people's jobs that goddamn important if they're taking an entire fucking week off from work because the holiday just happens to fall on a Tuesday? Give a fucking break.

Considering that I'm currently unemployed and the only thing that gets me through the day is corresponding with my friends at work (oh yeah, they're answering emails all goddamn day. Another sign that they're getting paid to do jackshit), should I be depressed right now? I mean, the only solace that an employed person can take is the comfort of realizing that they're not having to deal with the stress of work. Then, as it turns out, even the people who are raking in 50 grand a year aren't dealing with any fucking pressure either.

The downward spiral begins again.

35ft6
07-05-2006, 06:06 AM
When I first moved to LA, and couldn't find a job, I used to talk A LOT with a girl who was in the same boat I was in -- had just moved here from NYC, trying to make it in film, was unemployed -- and we decided that being poor and rich was sort of similar. I mean, this theory doesn't stand up to scrutiny but at the time we were sort of enjoying not working, spending afternoons at the coffee shop, sleeping late, getting drunk, etc.

Going to visit my parents, I asked my boss if there was definitely a job waiting for me when I got back. He said yes. So now it's a true vacation.

Anyways, people used to tell me they envied my unemployed status, but I was stressing out. Yeah, it was fun sometimes, and part of me totally enjoys it, but I'd rather be rich and unemployed.

SDP
07-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Hey, if you've got the time off to take, why not take it? It's a benefit of the job, just like a salary. Not taking your vacation days is like refusing to cash your paychecks!

Iago
07-05-2006, 06:24 AM
You're falling into a mentality trap of America. People fucking ask, How are things? And you're obligated to answer Oh they're good. I've been real busy bullshit.

Your friends are making 50K with benefits. Whoopdee fucking doo. That's them. If I'd played the match the salary with what my friends make game, I'd have a major complex in your situation.

Depression's fucking hard shit thing to go through... and financial stability has a lot to do with some well being... but you're starting to whine. Take it from one depressed motherfucker... that's annoying as fuck.

mwt.
07-05-2006, 06:58 AM
It's not that I envy these people who make this money and get these benefits. It's actually the opposite. I guess I'm shitting on is this whole American way of life where everybody gets paid for doing nothing. What depresses me is that I have to rely on communication with friends via email in order to get through my day. I hate that. I've tried to stop, but since there's nothing much else to do, I always default to it.

but about depression: when you actually suffer from depression, you're going to get depressed despite what good thing may be going on in your life OR the smallest things can seem like a much bigger deal.

Iago
07-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Have you been to the looney bin yet?

SDP
07-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Paid for doing nothing?

Iago
07-05-2006, 07:06 AM
No, pay for doing nothing.

yamchild
07-05-2006, 07:07 AM
it seems to be a very american belief that if you have job, you must slave away at it as much as possible at the expense of other things in your life, especially if you want to make it up the ladder. but really, if everyone is working at 100% efficiency, that would probably mean companies have to hire even less people, and there will be even more unemployed people. i think it's really more humane to do as bertrand russell suggests, and spread fewer working hours across a larger number of people. that's what a lot of western european countries have been moving towards. whereas here there's a deeper gulf between people that make lots of money but work long hours (americans work longer hours than most industrialized countries) and people who can't even get a job.

but to answer your question, i do feel like i've fallen behind on work if i take more than 2 or 3 days off. but usually people don't fall as far behind if they take time off around holiday time since there's a whole bunch of other people taking days off as well.

Iago
07-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Roger Payne: Why Work or, The Coming Age of Leisure and Plenty

mwt.
07-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Oh, fuckit. What can I do?

SDP
07-05-2006, 07:13 AM
If I leave for more than four days people here start to freak out. I know a lot more about the inner workings of our web services than anyone else. As for myself, I don't sweat it...we aren't an emergency room. I take a steady state approach to work stress: if I stay on top of problems and work toward the stability of our systems, I can take time off without worrying about breakdowns which will bring the department to a standstill.

Also, I don't believe in working hard, unless you you're own boss. If I had to estimate how much I thought my time is worth to me, it would be ten times what I'm being paid, maybe even beyond price.

People who are given vacation time and don't take it, and are proud of not taking it, irritate me. They are taking the hard-won benefits gained by people who literally fought and sometimes died and treating it like it's a symptom of laziness.

yamchild
07-05-2006, 07:22 AM
well, if you have vacation time and you refuse to take it, you may also be hurting the company. many companies (like the one i work at), "pays" for its employees' vacation time at the beginning of the year. so the longer you go through the fiscal year without taking vacation, the longer you are withholding cash flow from the company that has already accounted for your vacation time. so using up your vacation time regularly actually helps, not hurts the company.

SDP
07-05-2006, 07:26 AM
What kind of work do you do, Yams?

stryfe
07-05-2006, 07:30 AM
I rarely take PTO, because I've got nowhere to go. Usually it'll be an occassional 'mental health day' or day to run weekday errands. When I do take extended time off of work, I can check up on things using VPN+VNC/Remote Desktop. The fourteen paid holidays are usually enough. Next year will be different though...I've made a promise to myself to start using my vacation time.

BTW, 50K if you're living in California and single isn't that much.

FDM
07-05-2006, 07:32 AM
uhhh, i worked saturday, sunday, monday and i'm at work today.

i make less than minimum wage because technically i'm not an employee of this company and they can get away with it.

i live at home with my parents. i'm 24 and a college graduate.

take this time to be with your kids and spend as much time with your wife as you can. make yourself happy. because it could be much worse at this point in your life than being a stay at home dad whining about other peoples' jobs.

let others whine, worry about yourself.

yamchild
07-05-2006, 07:33 AM
i'm an engineer at a company that makes medical devices. it's a pretty cool job. the day to day tasks can be boring sometimes, but i keep in mind what the ultimate goal of making our products is, and it makes me happy.

sanjay
07-05-2006, 07:34 AM
This thread is a bit whiny, but that's your perogative.

My work life is always very stressful and I am never able to get away for much time. I get 4 weeks of paid vacation a year, but if I take 2 weeks that's a big thing so I just accrue the time assuming I will just get paid out when I leave. I wish I could get more time off, but my CEO rides me if I'm gone too long since I am responsible for too many tihings.

My wife is taking this whole week off because it makes economic sense...she had Monday off and Tuesday is a holiday, so she only has to use up 3 days to get a whole week to hang with our daughters. She misses being at home with them since she has only been back at work for one and a half year after 7 years off. She is the CFO of her company so she is pretty important, but to us our kids are more important.

SDP
07-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Nice. I feel the same way; sometimes the job is dull, but I generally like the staff, and I feel like I'm assisting people with their education (although, to be honest, I think some of the little bastards don't appreciate how lucky they are.)

'jim
07-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Americans work longer hours and do less than anyone in the world. I don't care about people getting days off, because I take days off whenever I feel like it, which is often.

It's more depressing that I spend a lot of time talking on the internet with people getting paid to do so. Or I least it would be it I thought about it.

STOP CARING. They say apathy is a symptom of depression, but often you can become depressed by overcaring about DUMB SHIT YOU CAN'T CONTROL AND HAS NO REAL MEANING.

stryfe
07-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by 'jim
Americans work longer hours and do less than anyone in the world.
I thought that was the typical japanese sarariman? It's the illusion of being busy that counts.

slackerbot
07-05-2006, 07:51 AM
whiney? when is a thread NOT whiney? ;)

fuck it. no reason to get depressed about work. i've learned that personal health and well being take priority over work. if you have vacation time, use it. if work sucks, then find ways to make your job easier and less stressful. if you find yourself pulling the weight while everyone else is cruising myspace profiles or taking 2 hour lunches, then something is seriously wrong with your work environment. time to move on to a place that appreciates your work.

'jim
07-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by stryfe

I thought that was the typical japanese sarariman? It's the illusion of being busy that counts.

The Japanese might work more hours, but they're not hanging out on chat boards all day.

Americans have this stupid idea that if you aren't at work, you are just wasting space. Can anyone who posts on here from work say they couldn't finish all their real work in 4-6 hours and go home? But you can't. Gotta work that 8 hour shift. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU DO.

I don't even work a desk, I'm on my feet, but a lot of the time is just spent looking busy. It's dumb. That's why I prefer to get paid by the job than the hour.

mwt.
07-05-2006, 08:40 AM

I don't even work a desk, I'm on my feet, but a lot of the time is just spent looking busy. It's dumb. That's why I prefer to get paid by the job than the hour.

What do you do, 'Jim?

yamchild
07-05-2006, 08:41 AM
actually, current japanese operational theory requires some people slacking off some of the time at work. if you want product (or projects) completed with very rapid turnaround, you need have enough capacity for the hottest jobs, which translates to excess capacity at least some of the time. so ironically, a company can operate most efficiently if some of its employees are slacking off some of the time.

slackerbot
07-05-2006, 08:50 AM
i think we all need occasional distractions at work. it helps clear the mind and refresh your train of thought.

SDP
07-05-2006, 08:55 AM

Can anyone who posts on here from work say they couldn't finish all their real work in 4-6 hours and go home?

I can. I have to be here because my job is supporting the other staff members. If they have a problem and I'm not here, my job is not being done correctly.

'jim
07-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by mwt.

What do you do, 'Jim?

Right now I do mostly wedding photography (or other "events", mostly weddings). Could last 6 hours, could last 14 hours. I get paid the same. Wait, bad example of what I'm talking about.

I also do janitorial work the past few months. It used to take me like 3 hours to do clean the whole place, now it's an hour and a half. I get rewarded for getting it done faster. (By getting paid the same amount and geting to go home.)

I used to do that in retail and the opposite was true, the longer I dragged out each horrible task, the more I was paid. Sometimes I would finish anyway before my shift was over, and you just have to hang out looking like you're doing something, which was even worse.

I heard the Japanese were trying to relax their slave-driving school/work habits to de-stress their society a bit, now they falling behind in those areas.

kamenriderv3
07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Today...the day after a holiday...in the middle of the goddamn work week. A Wednesday for fuck's sake--nobody is at work. NOBODY. Monday I can understand. But Wednesday? My question to you is this: are all these people's jobs that goddamn important if they're taking an entire fucking week off from work because the holiday just happens to fall on a Tuesday? Give a fucking break.

you take off vacations with a workweek that includes a holiday. you spend less vacation leave but enjoy the benefit of a longer time off period.

i'm sure its nothing new in the world of working bees.

your job can be important but other people can cover for you. some people don't have that but that's their own problem. (sorry sanjay)

mwt,
you're better off doing something productive than obsessing over other people's work/vacation habits. is your concern a financial thing or you feel less of a person because you're not out working? if its the latter then you're fretting over nothing.

Aaron
07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Work smarter not harder.

Charlie
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
my company blocked fantasy football this year. fuckin sucks.

35ft6
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by stryfe

BTW, 50K if you're living in California and single isn't that much. Really? Unless you're trying to buy property, I think it's fine for a single person.

slackerbot
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
yeah, you can survive on that. if you want to buy property, consider getting a roommate for a couple years.

or try pimping.

650lex
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
^^I feel the same but I have a feeling I will fall into the
Mo'Money
Mo'Problems
category...

SDP
07-05-2006, 03:44 PM
More like "more money, more crap"

650lex
07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
yeah - i can finally get that set of gold grillz i had my eyes on!

evillilgirl
07-05-2006, 04:04 PM
i'm off this week because my employer took the week off. This is her vacation which means I guess this is my vacation.. but she is always very helpful when i need time off to do what i need to do when i need to do it.. so i can't complain..

Ryan
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
Work smarter not harder.

thats what it dew

07-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Talk to John Stone...

randall fairbrook
07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
i feel out of sorts sometimes when i am gone for more than a day, the person they get to fill in for me may do what i have asked them but, i dunno....maybe i worry too much...

invictus
07-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I can't talk about my job.... don't tell anyone, but I think my boss reads this message board.

Weird, huh?

mwt.
07-06-2006, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by 5.92
Talk to John Stone...

I don't have any of his contact info.

07-06-2006, 05:13 AM
i sit on my thumb at work all day

and they've hired a freelancer

what the f--k?

shawgirl74
07-06-2006, 05:35 AM
I'm not going to have one after 2pm today!

Iago
07-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by atomiclotusbox
i sit on my thumb at work all day

and they've hired a freelancer

what the f--k?

They need a fresh perspective. On how to collect for output?

07-06-2006, 06:49 AM
powerpoint actually

so i dont really mind

07-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by invictus
I can't talk about my job.... don't tell anyone, but I think my boss reads this message board.

Weird, huh?

:eek:

mwt.
07-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by shawgirl74
I'm not going to have one after 2pm today!

Did you get fired? Walking out?

stryfe
07-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by 35ft6
Really? Unless you're trying to buy property, I think it's fine for a single person.
Yep. That's what I really mean :)

shawgirl74
07-06-2006, 10:34 AM

Did you get fired? Walking out?

shit, i'll never get fired from a job.

quitting to do other things that pay more and make me happier.

Denstradamus
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 35ft6
Really? Unless you're trying to buy property, I think it's fine for a single person.

I think what stryfe is trying to say is that if you invest alot of money in "independent models" and "prescription medication" 50K barely keeps you above water.

07-06-2006, 10:38 AM
If you can’t remember the rule,

just remind yourself that

just as you wouldn’t write “alittle”

you shouldn’t write “alot.”

:D cheers

:p

slackerbot
07-06-2006, 10:39 AM
huh?

07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
just being an ass

puppy fields
07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
i dunno...i think it makes more sense for the unemployed to be more stressed out then the employed.

why would people work if it was the other way around?

07-06-2006, 11:37 AM
money

herrokitty
07-06-2006, 11:41 AM
work at home
http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/search.py?lr=lang_en&type=f&query=quality+rater&Action.Search=Search
googlez

puppy fields
07-06-2006, 11:44 AM
hrm...which has more stress?

income or no income?

herrokitty
07-06-2006, 11:45 AM
... (http://giantrobot.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&postid=1083508#post1083508)

Aaron
07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
No income, especially for males I think because of society's pressue on the male being the breadwinner.

mwt: Not sure what to tell you, maybe try to enjoy your time off. Too much time makes you dwell on stuff that isn't really important, someone will always make more money than you or have more than you.
Grass is always greener..
Focus on what you have and try to enjoy it.

puppy fields
07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by herrokitty
... (http://giantrobot.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&postid=1083508#post1083508)

puppy fields
07-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
No income, especially for males I think because of society's pressue on the male being the breadwinner.

yeah. i've never seen a person get terrified by getting a job.

slackerbot
07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
unless they got a job as a lion tamer.

puppy fields
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
or as the lion.

youguysaremissingmypoint

07-06-2006, 01:08 PM
and that never happens to you right?

07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
stress is something that you cause yourself because of you attitude/outlook

it has nothing to do with income or lack of income

puppy fields
07-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by atomiclotusbox
stress is something that you cause yourself because of you attitude/outlook

it has nothing to do with income or lack of income

stress is a response to adverse external influences.

people respond differently to the same adverse external influences..

there are different adverse external influences in the world.

matu likes to smell his own arm pits...a lot.

puppy fields
07-09-2006, 11:47 PM
???

...must have touched a nerve.

07-10-2006, 06:01 AM
hey, B.O. is no laughing matter