PDA

View Full Version : product manufacturers + china

CaptainPajamaShark
11-12-2006, 05:44 AM
anyone know of any decent online sources for product manufacturers in China? I found one site called made-in-china.com which seems useful but i'm looking for other possible alternatives. anyone ever have anything made overseas before? like toys? clothes?

fad3r
11-12-2006, 05:56 AM
Depends on what you want made. I wanted to have some custom fight training gear mfg'd and found out that tons of boxing/fight gear is made in pakistan vs countries like china, etc. A lot of filipino basketball league players will have their team uniforms made in the Philippines for a fraction of the price they'd be made elsewhere.

CaptainPajamaShark
11-12-2006, 07:24 AM
I was thinking small electronic consumer goods. if you had a general idea for something i'm guessing the manufacturer would be able to accomodate you and develop a prototype? I was thinking it would be existing technology, just made differently.

kamenriderv3
11-12-2006, 09:52 AM
there's a portal site for that. they have a long listing of manufacturers and short descriptions of what they make.

i forgot what the name is. let me look for it.

Lars2.0
11-12-2006, 10:15 AM
alibaba.com is a portal like that. You can also put in your own ad. about what you want to have made and companies will contact you.

kamenriderv3
11-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Lars2.0
alibaba.com is a portal like that. You can also put in your own ad. about what you want to have made and companies will contact you.

yeah. that's the one.

CaptainPajamaShark
11-12-2006, 01:42 PM
cheers everybody.

have any of you used alibaba.com before, or know somebody that has? what are the prices like?

fad3r
11-12-2006, 02:01 PM
just to let you know, working with product designers, a typical prototype can easily cost $25000. my last job, i was researching alternatives for rapid prototyping services for my students that were cost effective. a part the size of a computer mouse can cost around $1500 and thats just for the shitty detail job. for more realistic stuff, starts at $2k.