PDA

View Full Version : Soju

Kenishiro
11-21-2001, 03:35 PM
what's in soju? I need a witty description of soju. This chick I'm kinda digging got sick on soju. Hahah...

so she asked me in an email: what's in soju?

11-21-2001, 03:42 PM
ghetto drink. Biggest fucking headache in a bottle.

Kenishiro
11-21-2001, 03:52 PM
nah...wittier than that.

11-21-2001, 03:57 PM
Oh, I wasn't being witty. I was telling it as it is.

stryfe
11-21-2001, 04:58 PM
a vodka like beverage with apple juice, fruit punch, yogloo, etc.

the first time i experienced projectile vomit was from drinking too much soju. ^_^

[Edited by stryfe on 11-21-2001 at 06:01 PM]

Zaius
11-21-2001, 05:03 PM
Is it that lemon stuff you get in the teapot? weakest ass alcoholic drink in the world.

11-21-2001, 05:37 PM
Zaius: Lemon soju? Hah hah... I'm not talking about strong or weak. I'm talking about refinement. Vodka is stronger, but because it is a cleaner composition, you wake up to have more martinis the next day...Soju on the other hand is torturous...I see no fun in it, I'd sooner down a bottle of rubbing alcohol...

[Edited by Solipsism on 11-21-2001 at 06:39 PM]

shagwerks
11-21-2001, 07:12 PM
Bah, you ain't had shit until you've had Pyongyang Soju. Then, and only then, can you say you've had shit...

You can buy the bottles at these little stores along the DMZ, i think. I picked up mine back in 93 at the Expo in Taejon at the North Korea exhibit. I haven't been the same since. That goddamn twitch in my left eye. Hmm.. maybe it was rubbing alchohol. One of the bottles broke in my backpack - i had to throw it away.

But Jinro ain't too bad, if you gotta be drinkin' soju.

remotecontrolalligator
11-22-2001, 12:45 AM
i don`t think `soju` and `weak ass drink` can EVER be combined in the same sentence. well, i take that back, fruit mix soju goes down pretty damn easy. and yogurt (yogloo) sujo is so smoothy tasty. its the straight up soju that`ll fuck an african like myself up. no soju for me!

yangnome
11-22-2001, 05:38 AM
mmm soju... my body will no longer allow me to drink soju straight any longer...it is heaven/hell in a bottle. it only has about 25% alcohol, but it is the phermaldehyde (SP?0 that will getyou. i have personally drank enough of the shit that i never have to worry about dying...did you know that after drinking enough of it, you can actually shit straight soju???? i did that for about 2 months straight...maybe thats why my body doesnt accept it any longer. as for the pyongyang soju, yechh...strong ass shit...as for the technical shit, it is a grain liquor made from rice. the lemon/grapecherry pick your flavor is wek ass shit and you can drink that all night (not to say there wont be consequences) try mixin it with gatoraid. it will go to your blood stream quicker. a really good combo is soju, koolaid, yogurt (the drink,not just any yoplait) baccus, and 7up or sprite...that combined with the correct amounts make what we call a soju kettle or soju bowl depending on the quantity you make. leave out the koolaid and you pretty much have a white dog...no, ive never had soju before...what does it taste like??? if you are going to drink korean liquor though, my recommendation is that you drink dong dong ju

Tetsuo Shima
11-22-2001, 03:58 PM
Yangnome is right on the money. Best description of the world of soju in a paragraph. In Korea, soju is drunk by many people just straight and mixed (fruity) in nicer bars and clubs. Alot of Koreans I've run into tell me that it's (at least Chamilsu) totally chemical and not natural. Soju runs about $1 a bottle in Korea; $3-4 stateside.

A mixed drink that's popular is poktanju, which literally means "bomb drink." Take a mug of beer and drop a shotglass of soju in. Mix it around, drink it, and you're fucked.

As for dongdongju, that's a Korean tradition. Tastes a helluva lot better in Korea chilled at restaurants, but if you wanna try, it runs about $10 for half-gallon. Milky shit that's a little sweet and sour. A similar one is makkoli. A sweeter version of soju is baekseju.

yangnome
11-22-2001, 06:46 PM
poktanju/sul...is a boiler maker...it is not usually a shot of soju(though i have done that too) but a shot of whiskey dropped into a beer.
Baeksaeju is ok, but i dont really like it, i would much rather have insamju(ginseng liquor) if my body would allow that anymore...wow the stupid shit i used to do...the great thing about soju is you never notice its effects until after you stand up....if you want to have some fun, try drinking bacchus along with your soju (however you decide to drink it mixed or straight) just down a bottle of bacchus after each couple shots of soju...i thought my heart was going to stop right there in the bar...bacchus is not alcoholic, it just has a bunch of bad stuff like caffeine, nicotine, etc in it...bachus for those of you that dont know is also a good hangover remedy

remotecontrolalligator
11-22-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Tetsuo Shima

A mixed drink that's popular is poktanju, which literally means "bomb drink." Take a mug of beer and drop a shotglass of soju in. Mix it around, drink it, and you're fucked.

...also see sake bomb.

demonstrated very embarrasingly on an old episode of the jamie fox show. its fun to watch people pronounce stuff in japanese with an american accent.

fad3r
12-19-2002, 09:39 PM
oohhh, i wanna make that soju kettle stuff for new years eve! so do you know the ratios of the ingredients?? which soju brand is best for this? i usually get the soju in a green bottle.

djbadmonkey
12-19-2002, 10:54 PM
jinro soju is what i drink. my pappy drinks it, my grandpappy drank it, and my grandpappy's daddy drank it. every year when i goto grampa's grave we pour a bottle out on his grave because i know he's feenin for a taste of that jinro soju.

insofar as the most popular brands in the states, it's jinro and green.

soju mixers are murderous to get drunk on, be wary. you're better off drinkin it straight cuz though it may hurt less during the present, that sugary shit is gonna make the future a whole lot more painful.

the only thing more painful than wakin up with a yagurut soju hangover is waking up from a tequila hangover.

i don't drink soju much i stick to the singlemalts. cuz my pappy drinks scotch, and i does too.

Liver_on_a_Stick
12-20-2002, 04:51 AM
I have to change my opinions about this stuff after reading this thread. The stuff I ordered at a Korean restaurant once tasted like 7-up. Maybe I'll ask for the stuff straight up next time.

taky
12-20-2002, 10:03 AM
from with i read there's some chemical in soju, that if you drink enough will have psychotropic effects
something to try i guess

fad3r
12-20-2002, 11:44 AM
here's a drink my co-worker told me to try:

Mug-Ju:

equal parts Mug rootbeer to equal parts So-Ju

supposedly tastes like A&W rootbeer.

kimchi_girl
12-20-2002, 11:58 PM
Soju straight up is pretty hard to swallow. However, I think you get your money's worth if you buy the bottle. They never pour in a whole bottle when you buy it mixed. Green soju is the strongest. Cham soju tastes the smoothest and is a bit sweet. It tastes better with spicy foods I think. Funny though that the cost of a bottle in Korea is less than a dollar yet it's like $12.00 a bottle here.

yangnome
12-21-2002, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by fad3r
oohhh, i wanna make that soju kettle stuff for new years eve! so do you know the ratios of the ingredients?? which soju brand is best for this? i usually get the soju in a green bottle.
Depends on what exactly you want to make... Its been a couple years since I've made any of these, but I will try to give a good approximate.

Soju Bowl of Love:
I make this in a large Kimchi makin bowl, basically looks like a small kiddie pool but holds somewhere between 3-7? gallons of liquid...Put in a bunch of ice, then toss in the soju & sprite. I think the ratio of soju to sprite/7-up was about 2liters soju/3 liters sprite... you could probably get away with 1/2 though if you want to save cash...for me I think the soju was cheaper than the sprite though.... The next part is tricky... I can't remember if I mixed 2/3 or 4/6 liters (I think it was 4/6) with the rest of the ingredients 1 container of koolaid (peanut butter jar size), 3-5 bacchus ( i dont know if you can get these or not... if not you can still make it, you just llose a hint of flavor + some ephedrin and nicotine), 5-6 yogurt ("Yogurut" drinks; they are about the size of your thumb). Anyhow, mix it all to taste. 16-20 liters of soju will get alot of people good and fucked up. Get some big straws and put them in the bowl, plus leave glasses for those that don't realize diseases can't live in soju..

Regular Soju Bowl
Large salad-type bowl...pretty much the same ratio ice, , 2 regular bottle of soju, 1 liter of sprite, 1 yogurt, 1 bacchus, kool aid to taste. Toss a shit load of straws in... this and it will fuck up a couple people.

White Dog (individual drink)
1/3 to 1/2 glass full of soju, 1/2 yogurt drink container, sprite to fill over ice...

Red Dog: same as above, made with cherry soju or by adding koolaid to mix...

Hope this helps ease the pain of your new year...

fad3r
12-21-2002, 07:41 AM
yangnome: my friends and i thank you!

yangnome
12-21-2002, 07:48 AM
cool, just dont curse me the morning after... you have been warned.......

lakebottom
09-29-2004, 06:58 PM
oh, nevermind...

Ryan
09-29-2004, 08:19 PM
man this thread has gots me all inspired to get down in ktown this weekend..

nancyK
09-29-2004, 08:48 PM
from what i know, soju is made out Sweet Potatoes (go goo mah).

Poktan Ju's are good cuz you just taste Beer but it hits you faster than any other drink i know.

Soju, when mixed with other soft drinks, is alot less potent than vodka. mixing with Root Beer is a good idea. it even works with Coke.

yangnome, that recipe sounds GOOOD.

Ryan
09-29-2004, 08:50 PM
man i remember doing Soju bombs at 3 in the afternoon at this place near school..ah those were the days..

tangent23
09-29-2004, 11:08 PM
when i was 19 i lived in korea for a bit doing the korean language thing at seoul uni and at the end of term all us foreign students went to itaewon and i got f^ked up on soju kettle pots whatsits.

i have lots of blank spots, throwing up on myself, stumbling randomly from clubs. at one point myself, the other aussie guy and some american miliatary dude were drinking copious amounts and he was telling us some shit he wasn't supposed to apparently bout the war standing of the armies or something and about HALO [high altitude low opening, i always remember that].

i was sick for three days, and had to pretend to my aunt i had just caught some virus...yech...

so, went down well, but beware next day...

lakeside resort
07-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Liquid City
Soju Wanna Drink Like a Korean?
A mind-boggling investigation of East Asian "vodka"

by Nina Lalli

Will the real soju please stand up?
photo: Nina Lalli
Try soju at:
Won Jo has several choices of soju.
61 Cafeteria serves one try soju, called Cham-i-sul.
Ruby Foo's

Try shochu at:
Decibel
Village Yokocho serves a popular, inexpensive brand called Iichiko.

Buy soju and shochu at:
Warehouse Wine & Spirits
Frank's Liquor Shop

"This one is for ladies," the bartender at 61 Café told me recently, as he filled a tiny glass halfway with a clear, thick substance. I took a sip. It was as syrup-y as it looked. "Wow," I said. "So, this is also soju? It tastes so different!" He nodded vaguely. "Oh, no. Not really. It can be called soju, but this," he said, pushing another little bottle towards me, "is the only one that's really soju." This went on for some 40 minutes, at the end of which I seriously needed a drink, and I didn't care what it was called—officially or unofficially.
Depending on your source, soju either originated in China, Korea, or Japan a very long time ago—evidence dates as far back as 1300. It is often erroneously grouped with sake because one of its common ingredients is rice. But soju—and its Japanese version, shochu—is distilled, not brewed and can't be defined by its ingredients, because they vary widely. Most soju is made from a blend of grains like rice, buckwheat, and barley, but sweet potato is another common ingredient. Some other general statements that can be safely made about soju are: it is inexpensive, it usually contains about 24 percent alcohol (48 proof) and is clear, dry, and though it can be quite smooth, tastes strongly of, well, alcohol. Upscale soju makers now distill it from single ingredients, and connoisseurs obsess over their specific flavors.

It is often described as Korean or Japanese vodka, which, in terms of taste and process, is probably the most accurate comparison. Soju was once the hooch of Asia—a cheap way for workers to get wasted after a long, hard day. But in recent years it has become hip in Korea and Japan, and even in New York, where it's popping up in trendy bars and fusion restaurants, often mixed into sweet, colorful cocktails, like
Ruby Foo's "The Silk Heaven," which is more refreshing and less sugary than its pinkness would suggest. It is made with Finlandia mango vodka, soju, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, and hibiscus strawberry tea. Director of Cocktail Development Eben Klemm likes soju for its "dry, dusty, quality," which he says makes for cocktails that appeal to people who normally shy away from the specialty list, assuming the creations will be too saccharine.

Back at Café 61, my new friend the bartender, satisfied that he had cleared up all the confusion about what soju is, moved on to inform me of how to drink it. This was a lot simpler: Koreans drink soju chilled, straight—no ice. Mixing it in fruity cocktails is more popular in Japan, where a cheap, carbonated drink called chu-hai has long been widely available in single-serving cans. It is also mixed with Oolong tea, drunk on the rocks and, in the winter, mixed with hot water and salty plum paste.

If you really want to impress your friends, smack the bottom of the bottle against your elbow a couple of times before opening it. The bartender says this "mixes it up," which doesn't necessarily make sense, but it looks pretty cool.

shammy718
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
i'm hooked on the stuff!

650lex
07-21-2005, 12:43 PM
i need the whole bottle to feel
something resembling a buzz
Magnet in North Beach,SF
another Soju bar
had a mad crush on Derrick
the bartender
hmm...second thought
it was probably cuz
he poured me drinks!

Zaius
07-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I need a elbow banging demonstration.

yangnome
07-21-2005, 11:27 PM
hmm... out of all the soju tents I went to and all the soju I drank in Korea, I don't think I ever saw anyone ever beng the bottle on their elbow....

HwaRang012
07-27-2005, 08:05 PM
But I've seen plenty of people sticking the handle of a spoon down the neck of the bottle and using it as an impromptu microphone.

bones2380
07-28-2005, 12:48 AM
When you have get a girl drunk... Lemon Soju

invictus
08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
I like seeing dudes in Korea drink entire six packs of soju at 1:00 in the afternoon. That rules.

slackerbot
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
coming soon from the DPRK..

Pyongyang Soju (http://www.slashfood.com/2007/07/24/north-korean-soju-to-enter-us-market/)

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/8348/pyongyangsoju200ys8.jpg

yangnome
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
So Shag's post from here was quoted in http://finance.yahoo.com/news/north-korean-alcohol-imported-america-144203612.html. RIP Shagwerks