PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget

fmstlr
06-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Vincent Chin. June 19.

http://www.itp.berkeley.edu/~asam121/vincent.html

His mother just passed away last week. Her Obituary was in the June 14, 2002 Los Angeles Times.

angrykitty
06-19-2002, 02:23 PM

thanks fmstlr for posting this.

ocd
06-19-2002, 02:30 PM
We won't forget.

Seabass
06-19-2002, 02:36 PM
RIP

stryfe
06-19-2002, 02:47 PM
<a href="http://www.apalc.org/calendar.htm">
Wednesday, June 19, 2002</a>

The Asian Pacific American Legal Center (APALC) in conjunction with Visual Communications, will hold a screening of "Who Killed Vincent Chin?" in memory of the twenty years that have passed since the brutal and racist murder of Vincent Chin.

To download a flyer for this event, click <a href="http://www.apalc.org/VChinFlyer.pdf">here</a> (264 KB).

Reception 6:00 p.m.
Showtime and Panel Discussion 7:30 p.m.

Guest Speakers:
Traci Kato-Kiriyama, Spoken Word Artist, ZERO3
Stewart Kwoh, Executive Director, APALC
Angela Oh, Attorney
Glenn Omatsu, Activist and Educator

Admission is free, but reservations are required. To RSVP, please contact (213) 680-4462 ext. 58.

kyoppolife
06-19-2002, 03:20 PM
haiku for vincent
killed by bat wielding crackers
so much has not changed.

kyoppolife
06-19-2002, 03:21 PM
http://www.vincentchin.org

shampoo
06-19-2002, 04:21 PM
sigh, i wish i had known about the screening earlier.
ive heard of this before, but reading about it again just makes me even more angry and much sadder.
we havent come very far, have we?

jen_er_ator
05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Who Killed Vincent Chin just finished up on AZN t.v. At the same time, a Civil Rights show is wrapping up on Discovery. I wonder if anyone has thought about finding a way to retry Ronald Ebens and Michael Nitz, the way Mr. Delaughter found a way to finally convict Byron De La Beckwith of murdering Medgar Evers.

The whole Vincent Chin case just...leaves me speechless. WTF???
Yet another reason why Detroit sucks.

FDM
05-27-2005, 08:34 AM
saw part of that docu awhile back...

fuck the white man. i'll gladly take his job *and* his woman if i get my chance.

Asharak
05-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know if the UAW gave an official statment about the Vincent Chin incident? I know a lot of pro-union folks don't like to hear it, but I think the union was complicit in his murder with their "Buy American" campaign, not to mention supporting the Chrysler bailout and and wage/job cuts for which Chin was scapegoated.

Asharak
06-01-2005, 12:52 PM
At the very least, Chin's killers should have been stripped of their union membership, but I guess that didn't happen, did it?

fmstlr
06-01-2005, 12:53 PM
criminal charges and union membership are two completely unrelated items, why would you think one should have any effect on the other?

Asharak
06-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by fmstlr
criminal charges and union membership are two completely unrelated items, why would you think one should have any effect on the other?

Because I think allowing racist murderers to keep their union membership doesn't help American organized labor's already-tarnished reputation.

Asharak
06-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I just happen to think racism is something that's always plagued American organized labor and it should be addressed. Besides racism, there's also the corruption, counterproductive violence, NIMBY selfishness and political and corporate prostitution. If it makes me "anti-union" or a "scab" to bring it up, then so be it, but I should note that actual anti-union people often exploit the problems of Big Labor to their advantage.

fmstlr
06-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Waco Jesus

Because I think allowing racist murderers to keep their union membership doesn't help American organized labor's already-tarnished reputation.

but legally, the union cannot reject membership based on non-labor related issues. If they did, wouldn't it hurt their image even more, (i.e. reinforcing a top-down management style that most unions are against)? Unions don't have real authoritative power over its members.

if they were to be ejected, shouldn't it be their fellow workers who initiate the action? (ideally). And clearly, we both know, the UAW is made up of a very much protectionist bunch, and they won't turn on their own kind in a million years.

Asharak
06-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by fmstlr

if they were to be ejected, shouldn't it be their fellow workers who initiate the action? (ideally). And clearly, we both know, the UAW is made up of a very much protectionist bunch, and they won't turn on their own kind in a million years.

That's actually what I had in mind, but you're right, UAW members would never do that. The Teamsters are worse than the UAW, though.