Robot Lounge  

GR FACTORY BREAKROOM |  GHETTO BLASTER |  THE BIG SHOW |  GASTRONOMICS |  GEOGRAPHICA |  SKETCHBOOK |  THE GOODS
Go Back   Robot Lounge > SKETCHBOOK

Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Senior Robot

Send a message via ICQ to kingka
Jobs in design. srsly..

I need some advice.

so, I got tired of doing freelance. decided to send out my portfolio to a few studios. got a call from one studio, who wants to hire me as a designer. had an interview, everything went well. seemed like the perfect environment for me. everyone/everything is laid back, stress free. super creative and inspiring place. but the work i'll be doing there isn't creative and inspiring. they wanted me on board, I said I'd meet with them again, sign the contract and all that the following day.

but then I get an email that same day for another job at another studio (gaming studio), for 15k more, in a senior designer role. where I'd be overseeing the junior designers, working on pitches, mockups, story boards, concepts. all that creative stuff. but the environment is really fast passed and a little stressfull. I met with them, the studio is huge, but not that laid back. they said they loved my work, and i fit in perfect with the team.

so, my question is. is 12k more a year worth it? if it comes with more stress, more responsibility?

or would you work at a place that's more fun (even though the work isn't that interesting), you show up, do your thing, and leave in an easy going environment. I know alot of people who work at this place, a few of my good friends work here. and I know the owners of both studios.

I have to make a decision by tomorrow I think. I dunno. I could always maybe... make up the extra 12k doing freelance stuff I guess. and is 12k more really a life changer?
"im only on episode 4 now. i keep telling myself i'll probubly get sick of this show. so far its pretty good. i feel sorry for cassie, she seems like a such a good person. she says wow and cool alot. I hope nothing bad happens to her "
Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Robot

is there a number in your mind that would completely convince you to take the job?

using leverage in salary negotiations is a rare event for most. for example, it's almost impossible to get a significant raise once you're hired.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Senior Robot

no, not really. and that's what kinda bothers me, I'm so preoccupied with the thought of giving up my freedom, and ability to work on things outside of work that I'm passionate about. that it seems like no amount of money would compensate for that. and I don't think that feeling is normal, it seems kind of juvenile.
"im only on episode 4 now. i keep telling myself i'll probubly get sick of this show. so far its pretty good. i feel sorry for cassie, she seems like a such a good person. she says wow and cool alot. I hope nothing bad happens to her "
Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Senior Robot

actually, it sounds like you have your answer.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Senior Robot

but, is that normal? or is it me just being a child and not wanting to take on a lot of responsibility?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Senior Robot

You know, I dunno, from what I can tell, if an employee isn't making "progress" and stays in the same position for years on end, our society considers that person someone with problems.

I don't agree with that.

Look at teachers. Our society can have great teachers who have no ambition to become President Of Harvard.

Last edited by puppy fields; 02-27-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Senior Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy fields View Post
You know, I dunno, from what I can tell, if an employee isn't making "progress" and stays in the same position for years on end, our society considers that person someone with problems.

I don't agree with that.

Look at teachers. Our society can have great teachers who have no ambition to become President Of Harvard.
true. thanks for your input bro. i think i will just take the cut. and save myself the burnouts.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Senior Robot

== gaming job ==

pro: the title, pay, responsibility will help you attain better jobs in the future

con: gaming industry is flaky.. employed today and laid off tomorrow. also lots of deadlines, high stress, frequent turnovers, late night work.

== first job offer ==

unless money/title is high on your list, it seems like this job is the obvious choice. gotta balance work and personal life.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Senior Robot

i would take any job in design. i think it's all easy.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Senior Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethius View Post
i would take any job in design. i think it's all easy.
it is.

anyway, in the end, I had a convo with one of the company owners about my dilema, and he said, whatever I choose will be a good choice, but if I choose the other job (higher paying job). and end up not liking it in 3 months, the position will always be there for me if I decide to work with his company. so I may just do that, at least I'll know what I'm missing. thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Robot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle
Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Robot

that sounds about right. although, i was never promoted. hows work going for your iago?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Senior Robot

yea but, how do i get ripped?