Robot Lounge  

GR FACTORY BREAKROOM |  GHETTO BLASTER |  THE BIG SHOW |  GASTRONOMICS |  GEOGRAPHICA |  SKETCHBOOK |  THE GOODS
Go Back   Robot Lounge > GASTRONOMICS

Old 12-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Robot

The weather was amazing today, atleast for the end of december.
But when I used to run I'd go in any weather it makes for interisting challenges, especially snow/water. although i cut back on cardio because i'm trying to gain weight now.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to mpyre
I've enjoyed cold weather running after a trip to Washington DC last year. It was inspiring watching the runners there brave the snow and cold weather in everything from shorts to tank tops! Or maybe I was just inspired by seeing a lot of young urban proffesionals hitting the streets at all times of the day. Definitely more runners in DC than in San Diego.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:29 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to ja.net
I think I have issues. I have been bitching about how I just don't feel the same since I'm not in ballet, and my energy levels are low, etc. Ok, I weigh 126. That's up from 123.

I must just miss the extra muscle and energy. Also I measured myself and I am not 5'4", I'm 5'5.5". I swear this whole time I have thought people were lying their asses off about their height. I guess I have grown an inch and a half since high school.

Furthermore, it is 4:30am and I am up because it is raining and I just realized I left my car window open.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:50 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to 35ft6
Well, I'm flying back to LA later today, and I think for the most part I've been reasonably good in Michigan, but I'm anxious to get back into a healthier way of life.

Waiting for me back home is The Body Ecology book, which I'm going to try out hardcore for a few weeks. Came highly recommended by a very smart guy at work.

Also, while at my parents', looked through the old photo albums. My mom created an album for each kid, and on one of my pages she had put all my school pictures. Needless to say I look like a different person when I'm in shape. Those headshots, depending on my weight, looked like they were from completely different people. More motivation.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Robot

Okay this time I'm serious! I lost 1.2 pounds that I worked so hard on but I'm pretty sure I regained and then some over this XMAS weekend - I really got to get my ass in gear and not for just some lame-ass resolution but I am getting my ass in leather pants for my birthday this year - I have until September but I really need to do it!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Senior Robot

you'll have to wait until September!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Robot

I started running again about 4 weeks ago.
Been eating a little better but nothing drastic.

I haven't lost any weight but my gut has definitely gone done, I'm starting to see muscle already.
Go me!

Also, I like treadmill running much more than I thought I would. It removes all the excuses.
Plus it seems like I've gone further and faster in a much shorter time than I did the first time I started running about a year ago.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Senior Robot

GO AARON!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Robot

yup - i'd probably die if i go out to the track and just run a mile - i'll need to start up again when the weather improves!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to SDP
Run? A mile? 100 feet and my knees and hips start begging for mercy.

I have to stick to cycling.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Senior Robot

i am a total wimp now!
i use to easily run 3 miles and now i start wheezing at the thought of it!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Senior Robot

I'm here cuz I need a plan! I have a goal to lose 25-30 lbs. by June 30th, so lend me your expert advice on how to accomplish this!

I'm 5'8" and a slightly heavier than average 185 lbs. So what might y'all suggest I work on to bring that latter number down?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Robot

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron

Also, I like treadmill running much more than I thought I would. It removes all the excuses.
Same for me. I've been jogging at a consistent pace for 30 minutes, but now I think I'm going to try to mix it up big time, throw some hard running/sprinting in there. I read this a while back but just recently saw more info on the fact that researchers think interval running allows you to get the same benefits in half the time, plus the added benefit of implementing muscles that you just don't use when you're running at a more relaxed pace.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Robot

^ I'm going to try a combo of the two, with more emphasis on high intensity since it's really the time/boredom that's the biggest problem with me.

Slackerbot, you know of any good time breakdowns, like x minute of high intensity, then y minutes of low intensity, etc?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Senior Robot

it's up to you. it's harder to do sprints on a treadmill because you have to push buttons on the treadmill to control the speed.

i used to run sprints between light poles. each time, i would try to get to the next pole as quickly as possible. walk/jog it off, and when i got to the next pole, i would sprint again.

on a treadmill, i run at a steady pace for 5 minutes and make sure i'm totally warmed up. then i run at 90% of my max effort for about 2 - 3 minutes, or until i feel like puking. then i walk it off for a minute or two. then i try it again at 90% - 95% effort for another couple of minutes.

try not to do sprints all the time. even if you're on a treadmill, you're pounding the hell out of your lower body. plus, your body will get accustomed to it and you won't reap the benefits of the intensity training.

Tags
arnold is numero uno, asian squat, bad advice, bro, dips on the gimp bar, drink lots of water, dudes with shaved legs, girly men, golivar is awesome, grover body, guesshermuff.blogspot.com, hey fatso, hk being creepy, hk needs to lighten up, hk=all talk no action, hunger and sweat, hyperpl-asia, i want to live, lakeside being creepy, smoke moar cigarettes, weigh your racks please