Robot Lounge  

GR FACTORY BREAKROOM |  GHETTO BLASTER |  THE BIG SHOW |  GASTRONOMICS |  GEOGRAPHICA |  SKETCHBOOK |  THE GOODS
Go Back   Robot Lounge > GR FACTORY BREAKROOM

Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 AM
TROLL

u all are fools. gun this, hug a tree that, peace, love, REALITY. no love, no peace.
defend your own!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:59 AM
Junior Robot

Quote:
Originally posted by 35ft6

And I still don't see why people need assault rifles. And how easy is it to turn a semi automatic rifle into an automatic rifle? Say an AK.
If it can't fire full auto, it's not an assault rifle. Sure, it might look like one, but pretty is as pretty does.

Conversion of a semi auto to an automatic depends on how it was made semi auto only to begin with. A lot of these rifles are made to be semi auto only and don't have the basic parts to fire full auto.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to .neur0nster.
Sure. Everyone ignore my long post. -_- I seem to get ignored a lot.

"Would you rather have a 12 inch permanently flaccid penis attached to your shoulder or have screaming Furbies closly attached to every single major joint on your body?"

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Senior Robot

Quote:
Originally posted by Type 56

If it can't fire full auto, it's not an assault rifle. Sure, it might look like one, but pretty is as pretty does.

Conversion of a semi auto to an automatic depends on how it was made semi auto only to begin with. A lot of these rifles are made to be semi auto only and don't have the basic parts to fire full auto.

I think the determining features for an assault rifle are size, caliber, pistol grip, flash suppressor. The UK used semi-auto Fals (which are of a slightly larger caliber sometimes designated "main battle rifle") so I wouldn't say full auto capability is THE determing factor.

An AK cannot be made full auto without a tiny bit of work but it's still not rocket science. I don't know where you'd get the pieces but if you had them you would need to drill a hole and add another axis pin. Apparently there was a big recall of Romanian AKs that had the 3rd pin added already.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Junior Robot

Quote:
Originally posted by Willie D

I think the determining features for an assault rifle are size, caliber, pistol grip, flash suppressor. The UK used semi-auto Fals (which are of a slightly larger caliber sometimes designated "main battle rifle") so I wouldn't say full auto capability is THE determing factor.

An AK cannot be made full auto without a tiny bit of work but it's still not rocket science. I don't know where you'd get the pieces but if you had them you would need to drill a hole and add another axis pin. Apparently there was a big recall of Romanian AKs that had the 3rd pin added already.
The L1A1 was chambered in 7.62mm x 51mm NATO. Larger cartridge, more powder and power than the M42 7.62mm x 39mm Soviet (SKS/AK47/Type 56). UK troops encountering the selective fire FN FAL in the Falklands routinely discarded their L1A1s.

For the technical definition, in most cases, selective (ie full auto) capability and intermediate cartridge size (7.62mm Soviet, 5.56mm NATO) defines an assault or combat rifle. IE, an MP5 (9mm) is a submachine gun because it uses a pistol cartridge.

Under US Law, an 'assault style' weapon is semi automatic (full auto is banned separately) with a number of primarily cosmetic options such as pistol grip, bayonet lug, detachable magazine, flash suppressor etc.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Robot

Quote:
Originally posted by herrokitty
converting a rifle to full auto is non trivial, and a big fucking deal if you get caught.
is that like when guys remove the restrictor plate on their car or whatever to soup it up?

souped up cars and converted rifles. sounds like fun.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to randall fairbrook
Quote:
Originally posted by .neur0nster.
In my Government class, we were discussing whether or not it would be a good idea to get rid of the 2nd Amendment; the right to bear arms. We were discussing reasons and different ideas. Like, the only people who should have guns should be people in law enforcement, hunters, perhaps government workers, etc. Not average citizens. Most people who buy guns for "protection" end up using it on themselves, other people, or their kids end up finding it. Hell, even hunters don't need guns. They can go back to using bows and arrows. I don't know. Something to think about. I like the idea.

Instead, let's arm bears.

ok neuron..i will reply...

if the only people to have guns are law enforcement and gubment..then what happens when....the gubment starts doing things that are against the will of the people and start suppressing people.......what do we have to fight back with.......and if you say only hunters are allowed to have guns then...hey...i am a hunter...she is a hunter..we are all hunters...what you are suggesting is MORE regulation ....

i have not seen nor looked for the statistics on this but i bet the majority of people who buy guns for protection probably get it home and play around for a few days acting hard...posing..then they eventually put it somehwere in their house...and sometimes forget where it is......
Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to randall fairbrook
my grandfather who was a judge got a carry permit because he was being threatened by some gang members because of a case he was presiding over....he did not like the idea of carrying something but he got a handgun anyways and when he died it was left to me...along with several other handguns/rifles...

i have been trained in hunter safety as well as home safety. I keep my sig p226 9mm close when i am in bed, full clip, hollow points, not chambered.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior Robot

Quote:
Originally posted by randall fairbrook
if the only people to have guns are law enforcement and gubment..then what happens when....the gubment starts doing things that are against the will of the people and start suppressing people.......what do we have to fight back with.......
only leo's with guns? this happens in certain places anyway. courthouses, certain federal facilities, airport. i think its the same with most schools but they may not screen for weapons.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Senior Robot

interesting but that's just a small town. their relationship is probably relatively close. with closer ties, there are social mores that come into play.

i'm guessing that they aren't racially diverse either.

can the same results be duplicated in a big city where most citizens are usually strangers to each other?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to 35ft6
If you don't want the government to ban guns, wouldn't you also be against government requiring you to own a gun?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to 35ft6
Paulie Shore in the military would be... not funny.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Junior Robot

Quote:
Originally posted by matu

3) Most modern armies very rarely use bayonets anymore. Mounting a bayonet on an M4 for example, is highly retarded.
Then there's the Soviets, who had bayonet lugs on SVD Sniper Rifles AND on PK Machine guns...

Quote:
Originally posted by matu And the funny part? It only applied to certain weapons like the AK. You can still buy SKS rifles with bayonets and all. Same caliber round. Auto is still removed. They're like 1/2 the price of an AK, hence their popularity. Lots of hunters use them.
SKS has a longer barrel and IMO is more accurate too. Doesn't take much to convert it (legally) to use the same detchable box magazine instead of the integral 10 round box. But since the SKS doesn't have a pistol grip, it wasn't covered as an 'assault-style' weapon.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to SDP
The funny thing is, so many people (I mean MEN) say they need guns to protect themselves from government incursions on their freedom. But most of these men generally suck the governments swollen fascist cock, especially when other American's rights are being trampled on. They need to make up their minds!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Senior Robot

Send a message via AIM to FDM
well, say what you will about michael moore, but to bring up bowling for columbine again (and to some extent, fahrenheit 9/11), america is a nation of REACTORS.

we don't really care much for the policy of sensible preventative measures. we're just looking for the next excuse to pop some shots off. and it doesn't even matter what rights of ours are rolled back, so long as we can still vote for sanjaya and buy a massage chair at brookstone with our 300 dollar tax return. wooooo hoooo.

Tags
bang ur ded, bear arms, i have a small penis, pyoo pyoo, robots with guns, will just sucks