Mining is some provinces are ruining The Great Wall of China. Yes, the wall is super long. Longer than what’s really ever looked at. It could be a tourist trap someday nearly everywhere, when trips to China become easy and inexpensive. It is a huge place. However for now, their number one tourist trap is being ruined by miners who want that quick dollar. If it’s going to get that messed up, why not just sell pieces. The Wall police will surely not catch anyone. Here’s some ideas who who to sell to.
1) 6 Flags. Make a theme park around it. Great Wall Rides, Burgers, rickshaw rides, and costumed peasants will round this out into a great experience.
2) Rich Baller. Yes, in a living room, imagine a ten foot span of The Great Wall of China in a living room. That would be a conversation piece .
3) Tourists. Break off tiny pieces and package it as piece of The Great Wall. Price at $20 each so it can be haggled down to $10.
4) Museums. American Museum of Natural History. The big one of them all. They should do what’s happened in the history of plundering and buy this chunk from the locals. If not, just steal it, ala The British Museum has. They might need to return it one day after more haggling.
5) Chinese Medicine Companies. Surely The Great Wall itself has to have some medicinal qualities of long life or keeping evil spirits away. Drink bits of it and live longer. “Increase the Chi with The Great Wall”.
(Reuters – The Destruction of The Great Wall of China)
That’s an untouristy portion of The Great Wall I shot in 2008.